With little more than 18 months until the running of the inaugural $1 million VOBIS Sires two-year-old race, a record number of stallions have been nominated to the scheme.
“These record numbers are a further vote of confidence in the future of the Victorian breeding industry,” James O’Brien, President of Thoroughbred Breeders Victoria said.
Racing Victoria’s Executive General Manager Racing, Greg Carpenter, said he was buoyed by the excellent numbers nominated to the VOBIS Sires program.
“These record nominations illustrate the incredible value of the VOBIS Sires program, and the importance of providing lucrative returns to owners and breeders,” Carpenter said.
“I am extremely excited to see the inaugural running of the $1 million VOBIS Sires two-year-old in 2019 and the $500,000 three-year-old in 2020, and believe that the success of these races will pave the platform for further interest in the program beyond 2020.”
The VOBIS Sires numbers for 2017 are:
• 59 stallions (a record) have been nominated for the 2017 breeding season
• 19 stallion farms have nominated at least one stallion
• $88,000 is the highest service fee of stallions nominated which is for Victorian Champion Sire Written Tycoon at Woodside Park
• $1,100 is the lowest service fee of stallions nominated which is for Lawyer at Oritah Park near Kerang
A full range of pedigrees, race records and service fees are available across the 59 nominated sires.
This year’s list includes first season stallions such as Palentino, St Jean, Frosted, Wolf Cry, Wayed Zain, Rebel Dane and Swear among others.
Also included are the likes Manhattan Rain (sire of last year’s Golden Slipper winner She Will Reign), Zoustar, (favourite for this year’s Champion Australia Freshman Sire title) and Melbourne Cup winners Americain and Fiorente.
The progeny of all VOBIS Sires-nominated stallions will be eligible
to compete in two exclusive races run annually on the Victorian Owners
and Breeders Raceday:
• $1 million two-year-old race over 1200 metres to be run for the first time in April 2019; and
• $500,000 three-year-old race over 1600 metres to be run for the first time in April 2020.
The 2018 yearling sales will see the first crop of VOBIS Sire eligible yearlings pass through the auction ring. These are the yearlings born in 2016 from the mares covered in 2015.
“I expect many trainers and syndicators will be hunting for VOBIS Sires eligible yearlings in 2018 knowing they can aim those youngsters at the exclusive, inaugural $1 million VOBIS Sires race,” O’Brien said.
Before the lucrative VOBIS Sires races begin in 2019, Racing Victoria
has programmed exclusive VOBIS Gold races for Victorian sired horses
only in April. This season they are:
• $310,000 1200m race for Victorian sired two-year-olds
• $310,000 1600m race for Victorian sired three-year-olds
Full VOBIS Sires information for breeders, buyers, owners and stallion owners can be found at the VOBIS Sires website
Bookmaker New Customers: Get a Deposit Match up to $500 *
Betstar New Customers: $250 in Bonus Bets*
Ladbrokes New customers: Deposit $25 and get $75 in Bonus bets * or Deposit match up to $500*
William Hill New customers: New Matched first Deposit up to $502*
Classic Bet New customers: Deposit $1000 get $1000 Free *